Why should you take a first aid refresher?
So you’ve taken your first aid course, it’s been fun and you’ve got your qualification – yay! But as time goes on it becomes less of a practical skill and more of a past skill. Unpleasant though it may be, accidents happen and having a first aid qualification should mean you are prepared to deal with them. Even if your course was years ago! There are so many reasons to take a refresher first aid course, below are just a few that Applied First Aid think show that even the most experienced need to update their skills every now and then. Take a read and tell us if you think we missed any!
5 reasons why you should refresh your first aid knowledge:
- HSE strongly recommends that first-aiders undertake annual refresher training, over half a day, during any three-year certification period. Although not mandatory, this will help qualified first-aiders maintain their basic skills and keep up to date with any changes to first-aid procedures.
- Employers are legally required to ensure their first aiders are competent and maintain their skills throughout the three years in which their certificates are valid. A one-off course for your staff isn’t good enough! Do you trust that your staff could perform if tested?
- First aid advice can change as more and more research and discoveries about our world and our health are made. The NHS updated their advice only last year on first aid. Attending a refresher course ensures you don’t get left behind and are updated with the most relevant and effective practices.
- The average adult forgets 3 things a day. Imagine how many things that is a year! Refresh yourself on the first aid skills you have learned regularly otherwise when you come to re-qualify you won’t pass and therefore will no longer be considered to be competent to act as a first aider. To fail to prepare is to prepare to fail!
- It is actually possible to attend a first aid course refresher for free – all the new information and revision you need without spending a penny! Click below to learn more and refresh yourself:
But wait! What if you haven’t done a first aid qualification in the last 3 years? Or EVER? You don’t just need a refresher, you need to learn the basics! Have no fear – AFA is here! Go to the AFA site to book the right course for you and get qualified now.
Applied First Aid
Practical courses at work & outdoors